Most gun owners use their guns legally and responsibly, and the President strongly believes in an individual right to bear arms, but we need to take action to better protect our children and communities from tragic mass shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut.
It’s up to each of us to speak out and show legislators that now is the time. It won’t be easy, but if we can save even one life, it’ll be worth it.
The President’s plan includes:
- Closing background check loopholes to keep guns out of dangerous hands
- Banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and taking other common sense steps
- Making schools safer
- Increasing access to mental health services
President Obama has already taken steps to start to reduce gun violence, signing 25 executive actions into law and now Congress needs to act.
Here’s how you can help:
- Make sure your representative in Congress knows you support the President’s plan
- Make sure your friends and family know about President Obama’s plan
- Read these stories about why people are fighting to reduce gun violence, and share your own.